Net zero refers to achieving a balance between the amount of greenhouse gas emissions produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere. Here’s a quick explanation.
What does this mean for you?
- If you are part of a large business’s supply chain, particularly ones that have public net zero pledges, you will be asked to get onto the net zero pathway. For example, a cheese producer supplying a large supermarket or a printer working for a large corporate
- UK legislation, SECR (Streamlined Energy & Carbon Reporting) says that businesses with 250 employees, or £36m turnover, or £18m of balance sheet assets, have to report annually on their carbon emissions. It is very likely that this legislation will be extended to smaller businesses
- If you are trading with the EU, you will be expected in the near future to be net zero to continue trading within the EU
- Starting your net zero journey will make you more profitable and sustainable in the medium-to-long term future
What will the FNZ Standard achieve?
The FNZ Standard will enable you to;
- Measure your carbon footprint in an easy, timely way
- Certify and benchmark your carbon footprint, assuring you and your customers that you have completed it correctly
- Highlight the opportunities for you to start your net zero pathway (and potentially save money) – helping you to convert to green energy, energy/carbon reduction, green transport
- Share your aim and credentials with your customers, proving you are a credible, sustainable business
- Publicise your carbon footprint so your employees, customers and stakeholders can see the difference you are making in the fight against climate change
How do I do it?
- Commit to the FNZ Standard
- Measure and monitor your carbon footprint with the CBN Expert Dashboard underpinned by industry standard, BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) carbon calculations and tables
- Get your benchmarked carbon footprint independently validated and verified through the FNZ Standard Solution Partner and the team at FNZ
- Make any amendments to your benchmarked carbon footprint from issues or questions raised by the independent assessors
- Once approved, your carbon footprint will be certificated and you will have the right to use the FNZ Standard badge on your communications
- The CBN Expert Dashboard will enable you to monitor your carbon footprint monthly
- On each anniversary, your new, annual carbon footprint will be independently verified and accredited and compared to your benchmark. Official reward badges will be assigned according to your carbon footprint reduction
- Help and support on your carbon footprint and how to reduce it, will be available from your FNZ Standard Solution Partner and the FNZ community