Devon Council ‘on course’ for net zero pre-2030

This would see a 70% cut in emissions, with the remaining 30% offset

Net Hero Podcast

Devon County Council claims its ‘on course’ to achieving net zero emissions before 2030.

A new report into its emission reduction strategies has revealed that the council is ahead of schedule in its plans for carbon-neutrality.

Between 2013 and 2021, its carbon emissions dropped by 53%, the report states.

For its net zero aim, Devon County Council is looking to slash carbon emissions by 70% and offset the remaining 30% through tree-planting schemes.

The report also showed the council’s electricity now produces 73% less emissions than its previous supply.

Heat pump installations at its County Hall and having 77% of Devon’s streetlights converted to LEDs, as of April, has also contributed to the boost in energy efficiency.

Councillor Andrea Davis said: “I’m pleased to report that our corporate emissions continue to decline and are on track to achieve a 70% absolute reduction by 2030.

“Over the next months and years, we will continue to reduce emissions where we can through projects including increasing the proportion of electric vehicles in our fleet.”