Costa Coffee brews plans to achieve net zero emissions by 2040

In the shorter term, it aims to halve emissions per serving of coffee by 2030

Big Zero Report 2023

Costa Coffee has announced its commitment to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2040.

In the shorter term, it aims to halve emissions per serving of coffee by 2030, with the goal approved by the Science-based Targets initiative.

The coffee brand’s evaluation of its entire value chain, from coffee farms through to its takeaway waffle cups, found 5% of total emissions are produced through Costa Coffee-owned operations, while the remaining 95% of emissions are created when products are grown, produced, transported, prepared and consumed through suppliers and partners.

To tackle its Scope 1 and 2 emissions, Costa Coffee is working with Climate Partner to source credible carbon offsets for emissions that are currently unavoidable and continue to develop and implement plans to increase energy efficiency and expand the use of renewables.

Its UK company-owned stores already achieved 100% renewable electricity since 2017 and since the start of 2022, its UK roastery is powered by 100% renewable gas.

Costa Coffee plans to work closely with its suppliers, partners and NGOs such as Rainforest Alliance to address the rest and majority of emissions, i.e. Scope 3 emissions that are outside of its direct control.

In addition, it is collaborating with suppliers of key ingredients, such as coffee and dairy milk, to improve farming practices as well as working with logistics suppliers to find low carbon fuel alternatives.

The company’s goal is to ensure all key suppliers to its UK&I business have carbon management requirements by 2023.

Costa Coffee is also increasing the use of resuable cups in stores and at its Costa Express machines and introducing packaging that is more recyclable as well as encouraging the consumption of more plant-based food and drink.

Deb Caldow, Costa Coffee’s Global Brand & Sustainability Director said: “We are proud of the progress we’ve made over the years at Costa Coffee across all elements of Sustainability. Committing to an SBTi-approved target helps us set a pathway to achieving significant carbon reduction; it is the right and necessary next step.

“We know that reducing our emissions by half per coffee serving and ultimately reaching net zero is going to take a lot of collective effort from all of us at Costa Coffee – from our team members and partners to our suppliers and consumers. But we are energised and prepared to work together to make a difference, as we continue to aspire to become the world’s most loved coffee brand and uplift the lives of coffee fans around the world.”

Make sure you check out the latest Net Hero Podcast episode: