Apple commits to carbon-neutrality across entire business, supply chain and products by 2030

The company is already carbon neutral today across its global corporate operations but the firm plans to reach a point where its devices have ‘no carbon impact’

Net Hero Podcast

Featured Video Play Icon

Apple has announced a global commitment to carbon-neutrality across its entire business, supply chain and products by 2030.

The company is already carbon-neutral today across its global corporate operations but the firm plans to reach a point where its devices have ‘no carbon impact’ at all.

The technology and retail giant plans to reduce its emissions by 75% by 2030 and develop novel carbon removal solutions to capture and negate the remaining 25% of its environmental footprint.

It has unveiled plans to develop an ‘Impact Accelerator’ to help minority-owned businesses “drive positive outcomes in its supply chain” and says it will support communities that are “disproportionately affected by environmental hazards”.

Apple promises to continue to step up its consumption of green and recycled materials in its products, innovate in product recycling, and design products to be as energy-efficient as possible.

It has also developed a robot called “Dave”, which is able to disassemble iPhones to recover key materials such as rare earth magnets, tungsten and steel, and will work to create other innovative electronics recycling technologies and invest in sustainable markets.

Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, said: “Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share. The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy-efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world.

“Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon-neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”